NextStop Theatre, in Herndon, Virginia, is now accepting submissions for all children’s roles in our upcoming professional production of the musical “Roald Dahl’s Matilda,” running November 14 to December 22, 2019. All youth roles, including Matilda and Bruce, are available.
Young performers between the ages of 8 and 13 (who can believably play between 5-10) are invited to send a brief video audition (one minute or less) to demonstrate their singing abilities.
Go to www.nextstoptheatre.org/matilda-auditions to submit.
Directed by Evan Hoffmann
Music Direction by Elisa Rosman
Choreography by Nicole Maneffa
Synopsis: Matilda is a little girl with mesmerizing wit, intelligence, and psychokinetic powers. But she faces real challenges from her unloving parents and her school’s horrible headmistress, Miss Trunchbull. Based on the beloved Roald Dahl novel, Matilda is the story of a courageous little girl with an unbounded imagination who proves that despite the odds, you can do anything you put your mind to—and change your destiny.
- Videos must be submitted no later than 5pm on August 30th to be considered.
- This is a professional production and therefore different than NextStop’s “by kids, for kids” productions. Youth performers will be paid a stipend and expected to conduct themselves as young professionals throughout the process.
- All youth roles will be double cast and an alternating performance schedule will be assigned after casting is complete. However, performers are generally expected to be available throughout the entire run.
- Please do not sing songs from the show for video auditions. We recommend roughly 16-bars from a contemporary musical. Accompaniment provided by piano or karaoke track are encouraged to demonstrate ability to stay with the music.
- Based on video auditions, performers will be invited to callbacks in early September to dance and sing selections from the show.
- We are interested in the talent of the performer, not the camera work. Please don’t stress about video quality for auditions. Cell phone videos are sufficient.
- All boy roles are written to be sung by unchanged voices.
- Rehearsals will begin in early October and be held in the evenings during the week and during the day on weekends.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.