NextStop Theatre Company, a professional not-for-profit regional theatre located in Herndon, Virginia, seeks a qualified and motivated individual to serve as our next Technical Director. This full-time member of the staff reports directly to the Producing Artistic Director and is responsible for management, coordination, and execution of all activities related to the technical components of the company’s mainstage, TYA, and special event productions.
- Superior carpentry and theatrical production skills
- A minimum of 2-5 years experience working in a professional-level theatrical scene shop.
- Strong understanding of and commitment to shop safety, construction integrity and technical theatre best practices
- Expertise at reading and interpreting scenic groundplans, elevations, and renderings, and the ability to convert them into executable construction drawings.
- Successfully creating and maintaining a construction schedule and budget
- Strong collaborative skills, but self-motivated and able to engage in independent, creative problem-solving
- Experience with relevant technology, such as VectorWorks, AutoCAD, and Google SketchUp.
- Ability to maintain open, clear, and continuous communication between production staff members, performers, support staff, and administration.
- Working knowledge and skills in theatrical lighting, sound, and costuming
- Professional leadership and/or supervisory work history
- Experience with facilities management and/or coordination
- A four year college degree or the equivalent
Full-time position. Regular office/shop hours, as well as some evenings and weekends are required. Work-from-home opportunities also available. Ability to take on additional design opportunities for the company, as well as freelance design and/or carpentry work with with other local theatres is possible, provided core work requirements are successfully accomplished.
Salary Range: $36,000-40,000
Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and three references. Position will be posted until filled. Applications should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.