NextStop Theatre Company, a growing non-profit in Herndon, Virginia, seeks a qualified and motivated individual to serve as a temporary Deputy/Acting Managing Director. This professional will train and work hand-in-hand with the Managing Director for two months before taking up the role of Acting Managing Director during the Managing Director’s scheduled maternity leave from February to early April. They will then continue to share select duties and projects with the MD until early June. The Deputy Managing Director will be tasked with becoming familiar with and then managing regular administrative operations for the theatre, including marketing, development, patron services, and systems administration.
This is a unique opportunity for the right aspiring arts manager to gain hands on experience in the executive administration of a mid-sized non-profit theatre, collect tremendous new resume credentials, and have the opportunity to work alongside the Managing and Producing Artistic Director during the development, announcement, and preparation of the 2020/2021 season.
Note: During the MD’s leave, financial management will be primarily taken over and managed by members of the Board of Directors’ Finance Committee and will therefore fall outside of the purview of this position.
- Minimum of 1-3 years administrative experience, preferably with supervisory responsibilities
- Leadership and/or significant participation in development and marketing projects
- Authoring, editing, and publishing written materials in various styles (such as grant proposals, press releases, donor solicitations, social media, and marketing copy)
- Balancing and managing multiple shifting projects and priorities to support the organization’s non-profit mission
- Familiarity with non-profit regulations and best practices
- Experience with relevant technologies, including WordPress, Domain Administration, G Suite Applications, MailChimp, OvationTix, IP Telecom, Merchant Account and Payment Gateways, PCI Compliance and Implementation
- Knowledge of public relations best practices
- Experience marketing and hosting live events
- Familiarity with facility operations and hospitality management
- A four-year college degree or the equivalent
Tasks May Include
- Managing and updating website and ticketing system
- Issuing press releases and managing advertising activities
- Perform email and social media tasks
- Grant writing
- Administratives duties, such as filing, mail handling, and facilitating internal communications
Part-time position (16 – 20 hours per week) for a period of roughly 6-months, with the possibility for longer-term part or full time employment. Regular office hours, as well as some evenings and weekends are required. Work-from-home opportunities also available.
Paid position, commensurate with experience.
Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples (marketing copy, press release, or grant narrative preferred). Position will be posted until filled. Applications should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About NextStop Theatre
NextStop Theatre Company, located in Herndon, Virginia, is one of the Washington DC Metropolitan Area’s fastest growing professional theatre companies and the only regional theatre dedicated to serving Northern Virginia’s Dulles Corridor. Building on a 25-year history as a community theatre, NextStop began producing professionally in 2013. Over the past six years, NextStop has produced over fifty productions, built a vibrant arts education program, served tens of thousands of local patrons and students, and more than quadrupled in size. Over the next five years, NextStop expects to once again double in size and scope.